Yes, you heard it first! Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Pie…..Tastes better than heaven! This has always been my favourite dessert growing up, and I finally decided to try to make it, and somehow…after 3 crust trials it turned out well!!
Crust (recipe makes 2):
- 600g Artisan Gluten-Free Flour Blend (I used Pamela’s)
- 114g Shortening
- 114g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp, Salt
- 1 teaspoon, Sugar
- 79ml iced water
- 352ml cup water
- 300g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100g cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 118 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 100g sugar
For the Crust:
- In a large bowl, sift in flour, salt and sugar
- With a dough cutter, cut in butter and shortening until pea sized chunks are formed throughout the batter.
- Slowly add in iced water until dough comes together, but doesn’t come too sticky
- Lie out cling film and layer with a light layer of flour. Wrap clingfilm around dough and knead, then leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out pie crust into thin (<1cm) layer, and evenly divide into two, then separate into two greased pie tins.
- Using a fork, puncture pie crust bottom multiple times to avoid air bubbles building up
- Add a layer of parchment paper on top of pie crust and top with dried beans or rice in order to avoid air bubbles
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, decrease temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Allow pie shell to cool
For the lemon filling:
- Combine water, sugar and cornstarch into a sauce pan and mix with whisker until blended and thick on medium-high heat
- Remove from the hob and mix in lemon juice, grated lemon peel and butter
- Slowly add in egg yolks while whisking, return to hob on medium heat and continue mixing for another 3 minutes
- Allow pie filling to cool and set
For the meringue:
- Whisk together egg whites with automatic mixer
- Slowly add in sugar while mixing until think peaks form
Putting it all together:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a cooled pie shell, add in a thick layer of lemon filling and flatten out with the back of a spoon.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out meringue and drop balls of meringue around all the way around the edge of the pie (just avoiding touching edges of the crust). This will prevent the meringue from mixing in with the lemon filling.
- Add in rest of meringue into the middle of the pie, and mix thoroughly with a spatula or back of a spoon
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until peaks of meringue begin to brown